Calculations of Avg and Lin (Acoustical Parameters)

« Older   Newer »
Jörg Mühlhans
view post Posted on 3/12/2014, 20:11

Dear Angelo,

Got a question about the calculations of the mean values in Acoustical Parameters. The only statement i could find about the Average Values is from one of your publications:

"All the results are given in the ten octave
bands, a linear average and an A-weighted
average of the previous."

I'm curious what octave bands are used for that mean values, all 10 or just the ones that deliver solid data (i.e. good SNR), or just 125 Hz to 4 kHz as prescribed in ISO 3382? Is the average weighted somehow? And are the same frequency bands used for all parameters, RT20/30 as well as C50, C80, D50 and so on? Usually i just use the single values from each octave band and calculate mean values and standart deviations myself, but the question came up among my students.

Thanks alot,
Joerg

view post Posted on 13/12/2014, 19:23

http://www.angelofarina.it

Group:
Administrator

Of course, doing the average yourself is the recommended way, so you have full control on what's happening.
However I explain what Aurora Acoustical Parameters is really doing: the LIN results ARE NOT AVERAGED, these are simply the results obtained processing the original wide-band signal, with no octave band filtering (no filtering at all!).
Similarly, the "A" band results are obtained processing the wide-band signal with IEC-compliant A-weighting filter applied. But again, no octave bands, and no averaging...
If you select the radio button of the LIN or A columns, the chart displays the real LIN or A-weighted waveform. And pressing on the button labeled "OK - keep processed", the waveform is exported back to the host program (so you can listen to the A-weighted sound, if you like).
Of course, the same happens when selecting one of the 10 octave bands...

Finally, it is possible to force Aurora to provide an ISO-3382-compliant band-averaged result.
In the initial window of the plugin, there is a check button labelled "Average mode instead of A-weight". As the name suggests, when this check button is selected, the table of computed values contains a column labelled "Avg" instead of "A". This columns contains the standard ISO-3382 averaged results (125 to 4 kHz).
But, if the column "Avg" is selected, and the filtered data are exported back to the host program by pressing the button "OK - keep processed", the exported waveform is still A-weighted, it is not band-pass filtered in the range covered by the 6 octave bands ranging bewteen 125 and 4000 Hz, as one could expect.
This is definitely a bug which we plan to fix in future...

Web  Top
Jörg Mühlhans
view post Posted on 14/12/2014, 00:31

Thanks for your answer - i never thought about the unfiltered signal. But well, now it's quite clear to me. I usually checked "Average mode instead of A-weight" because i wanted non-weighted data. Never tried that "keep processed" function before but i will definitely test it, sounds quite interesting.

Thanks again!

Victor Reijs
view post Posted on 12/9/2015, 16:47

Using Aurora module (using Audacity 2.0.5) it seems that in Average mode, 'A' is always -.-.

view post Posted on 8/10/2015, 09:51

http://www.angelofarina.it

Group:
Administrator

Yes, that is exactly what I warned you. Also in average mode, the signal after "keep processed" is A-weighted, whilst one would expect that instead it is a signal band-passed in the 6 octave bands 125 Hz to 4 kHz.
I warmly suggest that you perform averaging yourself, in Excel, after exporting the table of acoustical parameters.

Web  Top
4 replies since 3/12/2014, 20:11   298 views