Aurora vs. TEF

« Older   Newer »
jlm1948
view post Posted on 7/1/2014, 17:18

Hello,
As speaker system manufacturers, we use a TEF25 for R&D.
How would you qualify the differences between Aurora and TEF?
In particular TDS is a very important feature as it allows getting rid of some reflections and as result allows us to do measurements in a non-anechoic environment.
Also the sweep in TEF is linear, which makes the LF resolution pathetic; I would expect Aurora to have some advantage in that respect.

view post Posted on 8/2/2014, 12:18

http://www.angelofarina.it

Group:
Administrator

The main difference between TEF and Aurora is that the first is an hardware system, Aurora is software only. This means that the hardware can be continuously upgraded, with new sound cards and faster processor...
Just this week I have tested the excellent Antelope Orion USB interface, 32 in, 32 out, 192 kHz, 24 bits on a single USB 2 cable.. And the sound quality is really first class!
More than 110 dB dynamic range, perfectly flat frequency response up to approximately 90 kHz, distortion down to -100 dB, etc...

Regarding the type of test signal, Aurora can use both linear and exponential sine sweep. But the most important feature is that the deconvolution is performed with a not-circular convolution, so that any not linear distortion artifact becomes perfectly separated, in time domain, form the main linear response. And of course, you can easily window out room reflections, etc.
Furthermore, Aurora includes the Inverse Kirkeby plugin: it allows for performing a "loop test", measuring the response of all your equipment (except for the device under test), create an inverse filter, which removes any effect for your equipment, and pre-convolve such inverse filter with the inverse sweep employed for deconvolution.
This way, you measure only your device-under-test, removing any artifact caused by the power amplifier, the microphone, the preamplifier, the cables, the sound card, etc..
The only problem with Aurora is that, due to its "openness", the results can be easily "edited", so that, whenever you need to supply legal proof of the measurement result, it is very difficult to provide legally-bounding evidence that nothing "bad" was done during the processing. A completely closed and locked down hardware system is more "safe" in this sense...

Web  Top
jlm1948
view post Posted on 11/2/2014, 19:23

Grazie mille for your answer.
There are many excellent soundcards today. Unfortunately most of them with mic inputs have gain controls that make the calibration uncertain. Those without gain controls don't have mic inputs so a mic preamp is necessary, and the problem is the same with the preamp's gain control.
I'm expecting soon a Smaart I/O on loan for evaluation, which has software only gain control. Perchance, have you already tested it?

Edited by jlm1948 - 11/2/2014, 23:25

view post Posted on 13/2/2014, 19:34

http://www.angelofarina.it

Group:
Administrator

Regarding sound cards, we recommend the following, equipped with digitally-controlled gain for the microphone preamplifiers:
- Motu Traveler, Motu Traveler-mk3
- Motu UltraLite-mk3
- Motu 828x, 828-mk3
- Roland Quadcapture
- Roland Octacapture
- Roland Studiocapture
- RME Babyface
- RME Fireface UFX, UCX, UC
There are probably other brands/models, but these are those we tested and we can testify to work perfectly for calibrated measurements with Aurora plugins.

Please note that these sound cards also accept and give phantom power to professional-grade measurement microphones, such as the Bruel & Kjaer microphones with Deltatron preamplifier (BNC connector).
Just a cheap XLR-to-BNC unbalanced cable is required, with no additional electronics...
This means that a measurement system fully compliant to class-I specifications can be assembled with either one of the above-listed sound cards, provided that a class-I microphone and preamplifier is employed.

Web  Top
jlm1948
view post Posted on 14/2/2014, 07:30

OK, thank you, it answers my questions for now.

4 replies since 7/1/2014, 17:18   454 views