Setup instructions, how to download and install Aurora plugins

« Older   Newer »
view post Posted on 20/1/2011, 21:29

http://www.angelofarina.it

Group:
Administrator

The Aurora plugins are distributed as a ZIP archive, which can be downloaded from here:
http://pcfarina.eng.unipr.it/Aurora/download/
It is always recommended to employ the latest Beta version, which currently is contained in the file named:
Aurora_43_Beta.zip
It is also recommended that you download the corresponding Aurora manual.

Some users could also try the still-unstable Alpha versions, which can be downloaded from the Aurora44_Alpha subdirectory. Be aware that, whilst Beta versions are generally stable and already tested, instead the Alpha versions are, by definition, unstable.

The Aurora plugins are files with the extension .XFM.
Please, always setup your Windows OS for NOT hiding the extension of file names. If the extension of "known" file names is hidden, it is quite easy to become victim of trojans and viruses.
Properly optimized versions of Windows, such as XP Black Edition, already come with the option for hiding "known" extensions unselected.

The XFM plugins are to be saved in the same directory where Audition is installed (typically C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Audition 3.0). They must NOT be copied inside the Plugins subdirectory, which is designed for not-Audition-native plugin formats, such as VST plugins or Active-X plugins.
As the Aurora plugins are XFM, exactly as all the already-existing "effects" of Adobe Audition, they must be saved inside the Audition main directory.

Then, if you have already registered your Aurora package, you have received from Kagi the instructions for creating a TXT file, named AUROKEY.TXT, containing your registered username followed by two numerical codes. The first of these codes is generated by the KAGI server, and is sent you with the registration message.
The second code has to be generated by you, adding the known constqnt 121 to the number given you by Kagi.
After the AUROKEY,TXT file has been created, you need to save it in any directory being part of the PATH environmental variable of your system. The recommended locations is the Windows installation directory, usually C:\Windows.
ATTENTION! DO NOT save the Aurokey.txt file inside the Audition directory, as this directory is not usually part of your PATH, and consequently the Aurora plugins could be unable to "find" the Aurokey,txt file.

If instead you did not yet register Aurora, you are free to use it as long as you like...
But be aware of the "Russian Roulette" feature, which will crash the host program Audition with a chance of 1:4, launching the dice every time an Aurora plugin is invoked... So, very soon, you will get the error message that the Russian Roulette has failed, forcing Audition to die.
No fear, anyway: Audition has a very nice "crash recovery" feature, which you are of course recommended to keep enabled.
After a crash, when Audition is launched again, it will tell you that a previous session did terminate abruptly, and offers you to recover all the opened waveforms at the moment of the crash. Doing so, you will come back exactly at the same point when the "Russian Roulette" did kill the host program, allowing you to continue your work without loosing data, with just a bit of annoiance...
If you use the Aurora plugins very often, you will soon find advisable to register them, for not being annoyed anymore by the Russian Roulette...

Edited by angelo.farina - 21/10/2019, 09:12

Web  Top
gerardcatala
view post Posted on 21/6/2011, 18:00

Hey I didn't get any number from Kagi. Not even in the forum inbox

natuz85
view post Posted on 12/7/2011, 09:41

Il file Aurora_43_Beta.zip dà errore in fase di decompressione!

view post Posted on 6/8/2011, 15:35

Group:
Administrator

QUOTE (gerardcatala @ 21/6/2011, 19:00) 
Hey I didn't get any number from Kagi. Not even in the forum inbox

Kagi sends you a standard Email, it does not post a message on the forum!
When you register the Aurora plugins on the KAGI server, you are asked for your E-mail address. Check the mailbox at this address...
If the meassage from KAGI does not arrive there, please write to the support of KAGI server.

QUOTE (natuz85 @ 12/7/2011, 10:41) 
Il file Aurora_43_Beta.zip dà errore in fase di decompressione!

It looks like a broken download. Please download again, possibly employing a good download manager...

Web  Top
torpare
view post Posted on 9/4/2015, 13:42

Hi Angelo

I'm a complete beginner, but am keen to try to acquire some basic skills - as a first stage at least.

I downloaded the latest version (for Audacity 2.0.5) of Aurora, and reverted my copy of Audacity back to 2.0.5 to match.

There is incidentally no <modules> folder in Audacity to put the Aurora modules into but copying the unzipped downloaded folder of course creates one. (I guess that that was what you intended).

I hit one snag - which (apart from saying "thank you") is the reason for this post:- all the modules copied across except one, for which I got this error-message
CODE
Module libfftw3f-3 doesn't provide a version string.  The module will not be loaded
I imagine that, being a library, the absence of this might cause other modules not to work.

Regardless, can you please suggest how the omission might be repaired?

Thanks in advance

Robert

view post Posted on 20/4/2015, 14:02

Group:
Administrator

That is NOT an Aurora module, that is the FFTW library, and, as any other library on your computer, should be placed in C:\Windows\System32

Web  Top
flicsdaddy
view post Posted on 10/6/2015, 15:30

Hi Angelo
I've used the Acoustic Parameters Plugin back in 2013 to do IACC analysis but i was using adobe audition and i found it very easy to use. Im now looking to run it on Audacity and im finding it a bit tricky. I am carrying out the measurements the same as before and when i use the Acoustic Parameters plugin to analyse i am getting results that are not making sense i.e im getting and early IACC value above 1. Is there any information available on carrying out IACC assessments using Audacity.
Kind Regards
Derek McCreanor

view post Posted on 26/6/2015, 23:30

Group:
Administrator

IACC is indeed a quite unstable parameter, it depends HEAVILY on the dummy head employed, and on its careful positioning (always "looking" to the source). A few degree of improper aiming, and the IACC value goes crazy!. In this regard, LF is a much more robust spatial parameter.
The version of Aurora compiled for Audacity is still in Beta version, so it is normal that it is a bit unreliable, comapred to the more stable version for Audition.
However, the Audacity port was checked for producing the same results as the Audition version: did you try to analyze the same binaural IR with both versions?
The Audition version of Aurora is shareware, so you can test it without paying anything. And Audition 3.0 is now in free distribution, alongside with the whole Adobe CS2 package, for registered Adobe users: www.adobe.com/cfusion/entitlement/index.cfm?e=cs2_downloads

Web  Top
Victor Reijs
view post Posted on 17/10/2015, 14:22

Hallo Derek, Have you still these IACC larger than 1, even if you do the test Angelo proposes (using same file in Audition as in Audacity? I also see values mostly bigger than 20... Thanks for sharing your experiences.
I need to trial perhaps better 'looking' at the source! And perhaps my mics are not 100% matched...

All the best,

Victor

view post Posted on 30/10/2015, 10:37

Group:

Of course, the displayed value is in % (range 0..100).

Victor Reijs
view post Posted on 31/10/2015, 23:26

So Derek, do you used Audacity 2.0.5? In that case indeed IACC is erronously (and I think also Ts and D50). Better to use Audacity 2.0.0 and its Aurora modules.

Faiyadh Shahid
view post Posted on 30/11/2016, 06:41

I am trying to download in Mac for Audition. I am following an equivalent step-by-step procedure but not able to read it. Usually when I open the xfm files from Aurora's directories, I see completely different kind of audio file generated for approx. 1 sec whereas I expected it to be a sine sweep generator with a dialog box for commands. I tried with Aurora44-Beta, Aurora43 and Aurora42. Am I doing something wrong?

view post Posted on 3/12/2016, 13:13

Group:

Yes, definitely wrong!
The .XFM files are the Aurora modules compiled for Adobe Audition (version 1.5 to 3.0).
You need Aurora for Audacity, the modules have an extension .so (both for OSX and for Linux). Aurora for Audacity can be downloaded here:
www.aurora-plugins.com/Public/Aurora-for-Audacity/
Please note that the latest version for MAC OSX is the one for Audacity 2.0.

Halley Jaimes
view post Posted on 17/7/2019, 20:26

Hi! Angelo,

Thank you for the contribution and development of Aurora.
I want to buy and register the Aurora for Audacity but first I want to know if it works correctly for Mac version 10.14.4 or higher.

view post Posted on 18/7/2019, 06:48

Group:

There is nothing to "buy", as Aurora for Audacity is free and open-source!
And yes, it works perfectly under the latest Mac OS, with the well known trick (common to any other old 32-bits program) of launching it by clicking on the executable file of Audacity, instead of simple cilicking on its container (the audacity.app).
The details are here: https://aurora-plugins.forumfree.it/?t=55110998&st=45

The problem will probably be with Mac OS 10.15 (Catalina), as Apple announced the removal of support for old 32-bits programs...
I suppose that Audacity team will take care of this, but of course it will be necessary to recompile also the Aurora modules to 64 bits, which will NOT be trivial.
For now, with 10.14, you are fine using the old Audacity 2.0.0.

30 replies since 20/1/2011, 21:29   6097 views