Using Aurora for 3OA with Zylia microphone

« Older   Newer »
view post Posted on 6/10/2020, 10:32

Group:

Hi! And thank you Angelo for the work with this software.

Im trying to get useful 3rd order Ambisonics IRs from my Zylia microphone using Aurora audacity for Mac.
I use a Neumann Kh310A Speaker for this that should handle 35Hz - 21.000Khz with ok quality.

- I have created a sweep of 20sec and also a inverse one in Audacity/Aurora.

- I have set upp a Reaper project that playback the generated sweep through my mixpre interface and recording it with the Zylia mic, output in reaper: 16channels 3OA.

- I then bounce the recorded 16 channels 3OA wav from Reaper and put it back in Audacity for deconvolution with the same (reversed) sweep that I generated.

If the deconvolution is successful a lot of weird things happens with the files sometimes there is two IR klicks in some of the files, and sometimes files are just empty, or with the sweep file still in it. If I got this correctly the Deconvolve plugin should calculate where the deconvolution begins itself (time of flight) so there is no need to sync automatically? I should mention that I'm quite new to this.

view post Posted on 6/10/2020, 10:49

Group:

view post Posted on 3/2/2022, 16:05

http://www.angelofarina.it

Group:
Administrator

First of all, there is no need to use Reaper at all.
Reaper is complex to use, and it is very easy to mess up everything!
Audacity can be used for playing back the sweep and simultaneously recording your 19 channels from the Zylia microphone array. Just remember to mute the track containing InvSweep while playing and recording...
After doing the recording (which must last some seconds after the end of the sweep), select all, then invoke the Aurora Convolution plugin.
Place the recorded signals in Audio Data, place the Inverse Sweep in Filters, and perform the convolution.
You will get a set of 19 new tracks, each of them containing one channel of the impulse response, with a lot of silence before. If you want, you can select and cut away (or delete) the leading silence, for exactly the same length as the sweep (say, 10 seconds). I usually also cut away the silence AFTER the IR has faded to zero.
Now it is time to convert from A-format (19 channels) to B-format (16-channels, Ambix 3rd order).
You need the 19x16 FIR filter matrix which you can download from my web site, here:
http://www.angelofarina.it/Public/Xvolver/...Zylia-Jul-2020/
If your microphone is the new model, you need to downloa0d the WAV file named A2B-Zylia-3E-Jul2020.wav
After importing also this in Audacity, you again select all and invoke the Aurora Convolver plugin.
You drag the 19 impulse response channels to Audio Data, the 16 channels of the FIR filter matrix to Filters, select the flag for "matrix mode" convolution and perform the matrix convolution.
You will get 16 new channels, each containing one of the Ambix channels.
You select these 16 tracks and export them in a single WAV multichannel file. Of course, you must enable the multichannel export capability of Audacity (by default it downmixes everything to 2-channels stereo).

Web  Top
view post Posted on 22/3/2022, 20:21

Group:

Hello Angelo,
Hope you are well.

Doing some tests right now but I am having some issues in sending out the test signal.
I use the Zylia control panel software but somehow it does not want to send the signal out through my computer internal soundcard.
Otherwise, it works in Reaper.

Do you know of any steps to follow to make it work?
I use your version of Audacity 2.4.1

view post Posted on 22/3/2022, 20:50

Group:

Forgot to add I am on a windows surface PRO 4 tablet with windows 10

Edited by sero76 - 23/3/2022, 10:27

view post Posted on 23/3/2022, 17:16

Group:

I would also like to add that with the Audacity 3.2.0 ASIO version (still from your website) I manage to send audio out to the Zylia control software and then chose my tablet speakers as routing option to have audio out from them.
I cannot make this happen with the Audacity 2.4.1 ASIO version.

view post Posted on 9/8/2022, 19:38

http://www.angelofarina.it

Group:
Administrator

QUOTE (sero76 @ 23/3/2022, 18:16) 
I would also like to add that with the Audacity 3.2.0 ASIO version (still from your website) I manage to send audio out to the Zylia control software and then chose my tablet speakers as routing option to have audio out from them.
I cannot make this happen with the Audacity 2.4.1 ASIO version.

It appears that the Zylia drivers are 64-bts only, and Audition 2.4.1 is still 32 bits.
SO the solution is to use Audition 3.xx for making the synchronous Playback and recording, and then switch back to Auidition 2.4.1 for doing the processing.
If you like Reaper, you can use Reaper for doing everything.
You can use two instances of X-MCFX plugin, the first for converting the 19-chanenls to 16-channels Ambix, the second for performing the sweep deconvolution.
Here is X-MCFX: www.angelofarina.it/X-MCFX.htm

Web  Top
view post Posted on 23/8/2022, 09:25

Group:

Thank you.
I did realise this after a long research and some back and forth with the Zylia's team.
Thanks as usual for your commitment to keep this forum alive.

7 replies since 6/10/2020, 10:22   370 views