crash when doing Acoustical parameters...

« Older   Newer »
Victor Reijs
view post Posted on 5/9/2015, 14:48

Hello all of you,
If I try 'Aurora Acoustical Parameters...' on a wav file (containing some 'rat trap' bursts), Audacity (2.0.5) stops working. I get a crash window with the following content:
"[Window Title]
Audacity®, the Free, Cross-Platform Sound Editor

[Main Instruction]
Audacity®, the Free, Cross-Platform Sound Editor has stopped working

[Content]
A problem caused the program to stop working correctly. Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available.

[Close program]"

Do people know what the reason is? I have the idea that the other Aurora functions (Sine sweep generator, STI and Time History Anayser..) work.

Thanks for any hint.

All the best,

Victor

Victor Reijs
view post Posted on 12/9/2015, 13:54

The crash does not happen with other sound files. So it must be something particular in the sound file. The crash happens also if I just select only a small piece in the track.

view post Posted on 30/10/2015, 11:27

Group:

Acoostical Parameters works accordingly to ISO 3382 standard, and expects that the piece of signal being analyzed contains a good room impulse response, measured according to that standard.
This means a wide band impulse response, covering at least 6 octave bands 125 Hz to 4 kHz, having a signal to noise ratio of at least 50 dB in each band.
And the signal being analyzed should contain the initial silence corresponding to a time length which is the travel time form source to receiver, and a piece of background noise at the end, after the impulsive signal decayed completely.
Please, read carefully the ISO 3382 standard before attempting to perform room acoustical measurements with Aurora...

Victor Reijs
view post Posted on 30/10/2015, 15:24

I thought that for for instance T20 one only needs 35 dB and in my file I see a S/N of some 40 dB in the decay functions.

As ISO3382 does not specify the S/N range very well for most parameters, I try to have at least the dBs mentioned in table III of: www.levelacoustics.nl/research/publications/2012%20-%20Measuring%20Room%20Impulse%20Responses%20-%20Impact%20of%20the%20Decay%20Range%20on%20Derived%20Room%20Acoustic%20Parameters.pdf

Sometimes there is indeed noise in my measurements; can be wind around neolithic monuments.
So could I get these errors for each band and/or for each parameters (depending on my recordings: sometimes I get non, sometimes several up to four)? I just want to understand when I can expect them. Thanks.

view post Posted on 30/10/2015, 20:08

Group:

The pint is that the module also attempts to compute T30, and it crashes when it cannot. So a minimum S/N ratio of 50 dB should always be available.
indeed, with the ESS signal, it is quite easy to have a S/N ratio in excess of 70 dB, so i do not see the problem. Just use a longer sweep,i f the loudspeaker is not powerful enough and the background noise is large...
How long is your sweep signal?

Or, if you prefer pulsive sources, good firecrackers can give you even higher S/N ratios (albeit at the price a less-flat frequency response)....

Victor Reijs
view post Posted on 30/10/2015, 21:55

I use paper bangers, which have a good low frequency content. I have not yet used sweeps, plan to do that. In the early 2000s I used MLE, but I understand sinesweeps are much better (even in a noisy/windy environment, like outside).

view post Posted on 8/12/2016, 17:31

Group:

Hi Angelo.

Last two weeks ago I used Aurora Plugins for analyze a classroom, I used modules for Adobe Audition 3.0.

I don't know what's happen, but when I try to use the the acoustic parameters module the program (adobe 3.0) stops working and I must restart it.

I'm using windows 7.....have you heard about this kind of problem?....I don't know if is the program, the OS (windows 7)....or something else.

I have the license of aurora.

My electro-acoustic chain is.

Mic measurement -m-audio sound card- computer whit windows 7 OS and Adobe 3.0.

I'm use a sweep signal (50 to 20K Hz)......the convolution works fine. I have a very good s/n....more than 50 dB....and my long sweep is about 5 seconds.

Regards.

view post Posted on 7/1/2017, 17:11

Group:

There is a reason for which the Aurora plugins for Audition are still labelled as "beta"...
The reason is that they were never fully debugged. Some minor bug randomly causes the modules to crash...
Nothing bad, indeed, as Audition has this nice "self recovery" feature: so after a crash you re-open Audition and you find all the open files undamaged.
Which indeed is the main reason for which I did not feel urged to debug accurately the Aurora plugins: these occasional crashes are a nuisance, of course, but they are not a real problem, thanks to Audition self-recovery capabilty...

7 replies since 5/9/2015, 14:48   361 views