Aurora for Audacity Beta, first release of 5 plugins for Audacity

« Older   Newer »
view post Posted on 2/1/2019, 20:26

http://www.angelofarina.it

Group:
Administrator

For people having troubles enabling the Aurora modules in Audacity 2.0.0 under the latest versions of MAC OS (sierra and later), here is the trick.
First copy the Aurora modules inside the Modules folder of Audacity (usually /Applications/Audacity/Modules)
Schermata-2018-10-29-alle-09-12-42

Then right-click on the Audacity app, select the option to see package contents, and navigate to the true UNIX executable, as shown here:
Screen-Shot-2018-10-31-at-21-36-17

As you see, the executable has a black "terminal" icon, and is located under Contents/MacOS/. If you double click on it, Audacity will be launched inside the Terminal, escaping from the crap "sandbox" created by latest versions of Mac OS. This is the only way that the executable can load the additional Aurora modules.
For making it faster to launch Audacity, you can create a shortcut to the executable, and place it on your desktop, or even in your dock. The only problem is that black icon instead of the normal Audacity coloured icon...

Web  Top
Hans Albertsson
view post Posted on 10/5/2019, 11:07

Will there be Aurora modules for Audacity 2.3.1 anytime soon???

view post Posted on 13/5/2019, 08:24

Group:

No, it is materially impossible, as the Audacity team removed "de facto" the possibility of adding additional modules. They made it so complex and so "secure" that noone will be able anymore to do this...

Roberto Missoli
view post Posted on 13/5/2019, 08:31

Ottima notizia che sia possibile integrare Aurora con Audacy! grazie.

Lidia Alvarez Morales
view post Posted on 14/5/2019, 09:54

Dear Angelo,

Sad to hear that the module is not working any more.... I am running Audacity 2.3.1 alpha in Windows 10. I had already unzipped and copied Aurora module files in my folder C: \ Program Files (x86) \ Audacity. When I re-launch Audacity, nothing appeared in the menus (under Effects, for example) so I came to the forum looking for advice... If there is any change that allows using the module with the new version, please, let me know!

Thanks for your help and thanks for the module!
Lidia

view post Posted on 16/5/2019, 11:31

Group:

Why do you say that the modules are not working anymore? they are working perfectly here!
Juts download the good old Audacity 2.0.0 form the Aurora web site, possibly the version with ASIO support enabled (the password for unzipping is angelo), and then use Aurora without problems!
www.angelofarina.it/Public/Aurora-for-Audacity/
Bye!

Angelo Farina

Lidia Alvarez Morales
view post Posted on 16/5/2019, 11:48

Hi Angelo,

my mistake. That Aurora version works perfectly! Thanks a lot! I am sorry, I was trying to use the new Audacity 2.3.1.
Fantastic job!

All the best!
Lidia

view post Posted on 29/1/2020, 11:46

Group:

Hi, I installed Audacity 2.0.5 with the modules, generated the sweep and filter but I have some problems: The only way to record 4 channels is to use Wasapi as ASIO is not available but that didn't work and even using MME in stereo I get 2-channel record of the sweep. I use Aurora convolver with both tracks convolved with the filter but I only get an empty mono track.

I'm using a Zoom F8 (96K, 32 bit floating). Any hints?

view post Posted on 30/1/2020, 10:52

Group:

In your case, as you record a synchronous recording of 4 channels, better to switch back to version 2.0.0, for which we made available the ASIO-enabled version. It is here:
http://www.angelofarina.it/Public/Aurora-f.../2.0.0/Windows/
The password for unzipping the ASIO-enabled executable (which you should copy over the standard version executable) is just my name.
Of course you need to use the Aurora modules fopr version 2.0.0.
Regrading convolution, after recording your 4-channels sweep from the microphones, and imported also the invsweep, your situation will be something like this:

A-format

Now you invoke the Aurora Convolver, drag the A-format channels to Data and the invesweep to Filters, and select the "one for All", forcing this single inverse filter to be applied to all 4 input channels:

Convolver

Press Continue:

Convolver2

Select "full Autorange and presse Calculate! The result will be 4 new mono tracks, containing the deconvolved impulse responses...

Deconvolved-IRs

Now you can cut short just the portion of the linear IR you need, and export it to a single 4-channels WAV file (of course this 4-channels export is possible only after having disabled the stupid option to downmix to stereo which Audition sets by default).

Thishis
view post Posted on 10/2/2020, 10:36

Thanks for these resources, I really find them useful.

Danrues
view post Posted on 6/3/2020, 22:17

Hi Angelo. I acquired a Core Sound tetramic and want o evaluate lateral fraction parameters without having to buy extra software such as IRIS or alike. is ether anyway of doing this with Aurora?
I use Audacity for Mac v.2.0.0. regards!

view post Posted on 7/3/2020, 23:15

Group:

You know that these spatial parameters are quite unreliable, do you know?
Said that, the Aurora Acoustical Parameters module can compute Jlf, Jlfc and Lj.
You should analyze the B-format impulse response, in Fuma format (not Ambix).
So first convert your impulse response to Fuma B-format, then open it with Audacity and use Acoustical Parameters for computing Jlf.
A correct measurement requires that the X axis of the microphone was pointing exactly to the omnidirectional sound source. If the alignment was wrong, you can fix it using a free rotator plugin, such as IEM Scene Rotator, and using O3A Flare for checking that the alignment is correct.
Here an example of computing "spatial parameters" Jlf, Jlfc and Lj with Aurora for Audacity 2.0.0:
Image1
Here instead processing the same Ambisonics FuMa impulse response with the old good Audition 1.5 and Aurora plugins in XFM format:
Image2
As you can see comparing the two images, the values of these spatial parameters computed in Audacity 2.0.0 are completely wrong, while those computed by the Audition version of Aurora are perfectly reasonable.
Hence we can conclude that, if you are on a Mac and hence forced to use the old version 2.0.0 of Audacity, you cannot rely on the Aurora Acoustical Parameters plugin for computing correctly these spatial parameters.
I warmly suggest that you find and install the very old Audition 1.5, which runs perfectly fine on a Mac using Playonmac.

Edited by angelo.farina - 9/3/2020, 09:46

Danrues
view post Posted on 9/3/2020, 21:21

Thanks for the quick reply, Angelo.

I did a MSc in Chalmers around 15 years ago and my thesis involved measuring acoustical parameters including LF with a ˝" B&K Omni mic and a AKG with its figure of eight pattern. It was a headache trying to calibrate both max 'lobes'.

Nowadays, I still want to evaluate the percentage of acoustical energy coming from other directions rather than frontal and thought that a tetramic would be a more reliable way of 'matching' maxs.

Do you recommend a new parameter in lieu of the old LF or is it the measurement method that makes it unreliable?

Thanks in Advance

Daniel

view post Posted on 9/3/2020, 21:42

http://www.angelofarina.it

Group:
Administrator

The problem is with equipment. The concept of LF is simple and reliable, in facts it works very well in simulation software, such as Catt, Odeon or Ramsete.
Definitely a Tetramic is a wise choice, as they are factory-calibrated one by one, so at least for 6 months - one year after purchase the pressure and velocity responses should stay matched.
However, we are using an Eigenmike, and we calibrate it every year. This is quite reliable, a first order Ambisonics microphone is never so good. But the Eigenmike is very expensive (20k Euros).
Perhaps the new Octomic could be a reasonable compromise, and it is still factory-calibrated one by one.
Then you need a perfectly omnidirectional sound source, a dodechaedron simply sucks above 1 kHz, witch significant lobes which can disrupt the values of LF significantly. We have built a 32-speaker super-small spherical source, which works well up to the 4 kHz octave band.
You can see it in this paper: www.angelofarina.it/Public/Papers/279-AES-2016.pdf

Web  Top
Danrues
view post Posted on 10/3/2020, 18:14

Muchas Gracias Angelo!

I read the 32-speaker source paper and I'm already looking for Bamboo Bowls!

But seriously, that sound source is a piece of art. Just wondering how heavy the power amp case is.

With Aercoustics in Canadá I used a Look Line (Italian) dodecahedron speaker. And I just built mine with 8-ohm drivers. If Lf parameter beyond 1kHz is unreliable with a typical dodecahedron, whats with all the data (populating books and papers) that was obtained -probably- with a standard 12-faced sound source?

Saludos!

62 replies since 14/4/2011, 12:38   26953 views