Aurora for Audacity Beta, first release of 5 plugins for Audacity

« Older   Newer »
view post Posted on 14/4/2011, 12:38

http://www.angelofarina.it

Group:
Administrator

We are proud to announce the release in Beta version of 5 Aurora modules, compiled for Audacity:
- Acoustical Parameters
- GENSWEEP
- CONVOLVER
- CROSS FUNCTIONS
- ITU P56 Time History Analysis

Audacity is a general purpose wave editor program similar to Adobe Audition, but with better multichannel support.
It is open-source, and it woks under the three major operating systems (Windows, Mac-OSX, Linux)
More infos on Audacity here:
http://audacity.sourceforge.net/

The Audacity version of the Aurora plugins take advantage of the better multichannel support available under Audacity. This, indeed, makes the things a bit more complex to manage, particularly for the convolver, which can now work as a "matrix convolver", replicating the features of our famous VST plugin X-volver.
We plan to post here a guide for explaining these new multichannel features of Aurora, made available under the Audacity host program.

You can download the new Aurora for Audacity plugins here:
http://pcfarina.eng.unipr.it/Public/Aurora-for-Audacity/
For installation it is necessary to manually copy the Aurora modules inside the "modules" subdirectory of the installed app.

Edited by angelo.farina - 26/11/2012, 00:28

Web  Top
k9charlie
view post Posted on 8/8/2011, 19:45

Hi Angelo,

I am interested in using the plug-in with Audacity on Linux (I currently use them with Adobe Audition). Can you please provide additional details regarding how to install the plugins (libraries) for use with the Linux version of Audacity. I have compiled Audacity 1.3.13-Beta on my machine (64-bit Debian) and it works fine (except for the Aurora plug-in). However, I do not know how to install the plugins. Do I need to compile it specifying the Aurora plug-in libraries?

Thanks,

Chuck

view post Posted on 10/8/2011, 17:21

Group:
Administrator

As known, Linux distributions are much more difficult to operate than Windows or Mac distributions, due to the fact that any Linux machine is somewhat different.
Conceptually, one should simply install (employing Synapytic) the standard distribution of:
- audacity 1.3.12-2
- libwxgtk2.8-0 2.8.10.1-0ubuntu1.2
- libfftw3 3.2.2-1

Then you download the moduless from my web server (the address is above), and copy them in
/usr/share/audacity/modules

Please note that I have just updated three of the modules for Linux:
(AcParameters, Convolver, SweepGenerator) - these have just been tested to work on a "standard" Ubuntu machine...

Edited by angelo.farina - 26/11/2012, 00:34

Web  Top
k9charlie
view post Posted on 10/8/2011, 22:56

Hi Angelo,

Thanks for the post. I think that the issue is that the modules are 32-bit and I am running a 64-bit Linux distro (Debian). I checked the Audacity log and I see this:

Error: /usr/local/share/audacity/modules/libAcParameters.so: wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS32

I then checked to see the libraries the modules are looking for:

$ ldd libXFunctions.so
linux-gate.so.1 => (0xf7742000)
libfftw3.so.3 => not found
libwx_baseu-2.8.so.0 => not found
libwx_baseu_net-2.8.so.0 => not found
libwx_gtk2u_adv-2.8.so.0 => not found
libwx_gtk2u_core-2.8.so.0 => not found
libwx_gtk2u_html-2.8.so.0 => not found
libfftw3f.so.3 => not found
libstdc++.so.6 => /usr/lib32/libstdc++.so.6 (0xf75cb000)
libm.so.6 => /lib32/libm.so.6 (0xf75a5000)
libgcc_s.so.1 => /usr/lib32/libgcc_s.so.1 (0xf7587000)
libc.so.6 => /lib32/libc.so.6 (0xf7440000)
/lib/ld-linux.so.2 (0xf7743000)

This appears to be the case. With that in mind, would you be able to build a 64-bit version of the modules?

Thanks,

Chuck

view post Posted on 11/8/2011, 17:31

Group:
Administrator

I will ask Simone Campanini to look into your debugging info. My knowledge of the Linux environment is too poor for understanding where the problem comes from.
What I can say is:
1) On other OSs, such as Windows and OSX, a 32 bit program runs smoothly under the 64-bit version of the OS.
2) Your error messages simply indicate to me that you did not install the required libraries, FFTW and libwx_gtk2u. Have you tried to install these libraries from the repositories (wih Apt-Get or Synaptic)?
3) Did you install the 32-bit version of Audacity or the 64-bit version?
4) Why are you using a 64-bit OS? The benchmarks done here at the University did clearly indicate that the 64-bit version of any OS gives advantages only if the computer is equipped with more than 4 Gbytes RAM, configured in dual-channel mode (so, in practice, you need to have 8 Gbytes or more...).

But I leave the final word to Simone, he is the real Linux expert here...

Web  Top
k9charlie
view post Posted on 11/8/2011, 19:01

Hi Angelo,

After a little digging I decided to install the modules on a Linux machine running 32-bit Debian...and success! The modules now load into Audacity. I tested the "Time History Analyzer" and the "Log Sweep Generator" and they appear to be working correctly. This is great!

God bless, and thanks for the help,

Chuck

DrWig
view post Posted on 3/11/2011, 15:13

Hi Angelo. I can't thank you enough for releasing these excellent tools for Audacity. I discovered the Audacity versions today, and will be using them with my students tomorrow....the purchasing of Adobe Audition really was a big sticking point for our students :-)

Many, many, many thanks.

Bruce Wiggins
University of Derby
UK

view post Posted on 21/11/2011, 18:48

Group:
Administrator

Hi Bruce,
happy to see you here...
I hope to be able to port more plugins in the next months. STI is the next one...
I must say, that "purchasing" Audition had not been a problem for my students here. But I know, England is different, I see my son (who is studying in York) was forced to move to open-source software for almost anything to be officially used at the University...

Edited by angelo.farina - 7/12/2011, 17:21

Web  Top
zhongguoligang
view post Posted on 8/12/2011, 02:52

happy to see you here...

ginopalletta
view post Posted on 29/2/2012, 14:05

hello angelo and forum,
i am interested in running the plugins for audacity, too. I am on Mac OSX. I successfully run the .13 version of audacity with aurora plugins for Mac OSX.

today i discovered the latest release 1.3.14, which seems to include the Kirkeby module! Thank you!

but unfortunately when i try to install this latest release on top of the previous one, it does not work. I have simply removed the old ones by overwriting with the new ones. I have kept the mod-script-pipe.so file (also tried to remove it).

then, when i run audacity, all aurora stuff is disappeared. Copying back the .13 modules brings things back working.

thank you for your commitment to this project!

ciao
giuseppe

MMMMHHH: PS: now that i think while i write, i guess i should first download and install audacity 1.3.14. Maybe this is the issue, that plugins are specific to a certain version of audacity? I will try and report soon.

ginopalletta
view post Posted on 29/2/2012, 16:55

ok they work with audacity 1.3.14
thanks!

ciao
giuseppe

view post Posted on 13/6/2012, 17:48

Group:
Administrator

The directory name was self-suggesting, in my opinion.
It appears this was not true in your case, indeed...
Now that Audacity 2.0 is released, on the web site you find the version of the Aurora plugins which work with it...

Web  Top
c.roblin
view post Posted on 28/8/2012, 02:01

Hi Angelo !

First thanks for your work !

I would like to test aurora on audacity 2.0.2 (for windows 7). Once the .dll files copied in the plug-in directory, audacity doesn't seemed to recognized them. Is there any pb with that version of audacity ?

Thank you !

view post Posted on 10/9/2012, 14:54

Group:
Administrator

As already clearly explained above, each version of the plugins is for ONE SPECIFIC VERSION of Audacity. You cannot use the plugins v. 2.00 with Audacity 2.02...
We were almost finished with plugins version 2.01, when Audacity was further stepped up to 2.02, se we have now to recompile everything again, fixing incompatibilities, etc...
It is unfortunate that Audacity (as most of the open source software) is being developed with no attention to compatibility with the past. Every minor revision of Audacity, requires approximately 100 hours work for fixing the compatibility with Aurora plugins. And, as the number of ported plugins increases, this time increases too.
After three years, I am starting to doubt that it was a good idea to choose such an unstable host program for hosting my Aurora plugins.
We are seriously thinking to give up, and switch back to a robust, professionally-maintained host program (albeit not free)...

Web  Top
Rafa_randy
view post Posted on 1/11/2012, 17:58

Hello Angelo! thanks for all this usefull tools, they're amazing!

I'm having some problems with the sine sweep generator in Audacity. When I try to generate a signal, it always shows this message: " Error in sweep limits. Check Start and End Frequency." But I've configured a normal sweep from 20 Hz to 20000 Hz, and it occurs the same with another limits.

Could you help me?

Thank you!!

62 replies since 14/4/2011, 12:38   26943 views